Monday, March 22, 2010

A Year Of Waiting...

........and my Vanilla is done! Isn't it beautiful? I can't wait to try it. All you do is put some Sliced Vanilla Beans in a large bottle of Vodka and let it sit in your cupboard for a year, shaking it up from time to time. And then strain out the vanilla beans.
I met a lady, Sarah Bell, on the Internet who guided my through the beginning stages of Cake Decorating. She gave me tons of help and advice. Here is a link to her etsy store where you can buy some Madagascar Vanilla Beans, or buy some of her Homemade Vanilla. I know I will be buying some more of the beans from her soon!


3 comments:

Brent said...

Hello,

The bottles and labels look awesome! This would make a fantastic gift for fellow vanilla enthusiasts.

I notice the color of the extract is quite light in color. What vanilla bean/volume of alcohol ratio did you use? Typically, homemade vanilla extract should be very dark brown and smell of intense vanilla. 3-5 vanilla beans per 8 ounces of vanilla extract is a good rule to go by.

Another fun project is to make vanilla extract of different varieties. Beanilla Trading company offers 8 differeny types of vanilla, all from different countries and of different species. The result is a huge variety of different vanilla flavors! Their products can be found at www.beanilla.com

I hope this helps!

Brent

Sarah said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sarah said...

Thankyou, I added some more vanilla bean to the bottles, and I will let it soak for another month or two. I appreciate the advice. It is my first batch. I thought it should have had more of a vanilla scent.